[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos bug #1778 and oi_151a9

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 21:05:08 UTC 2016

On Friday, January 1, 2016 7:05 AM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> It was mentioned it to someone about upgrading to illumos-current
> for oi_151a9. Better document exists but you can review:
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Upgrading+OpenIndiana

My hesitancy with updating is primarily due to lack of available time,
and not because I don't want to update to hipster or
illumos-current+oi_151a9.  Is there a reason to not update to
'hipster' and to prefer illumos-current + stale oi_151a9 applications?

I am noticing residue (e.g. iostat entries for non-existing hardware)
left behind from previously replaced hard drives.  Probably I did not
use 'cfgadm' correctly to tell the system that a SAS drive was
permanently removed.  I think that the problem started from before I
recently replaced a SAS drive though.  It must be due to the flaky USB
pool hardware.

Bob

Bob,

No need to update to hipster, just update your kernel (osnet) consolidation.

IPS: hipster-2015

Name: consolidation/osnet/osnet-redistributable

This was just to update to the latest kernel environment patches from Illumos. Don't do anything without
ensuring your specific bug is fixed (or improved) with any kernel update (saves time and effort).

I going to put something on the WIKI to help resolve some of these issues.

Interested if "re-generating /dev/rdsk and /dev/dsk device entries from scratch" resolves both problems.

Ken