[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] !!! Debug bins for developers: Working (but on my hw instable) Intel-KMS test-bins now uploaded for testing

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Wed Jan 6 10:09:47 UTC 2016

 Ah, great.
I'm releaved to hear that it also works on other hardware out of the box :)

As said: Such skilled instant testers like you are essential, Thank You again!!
Now - these bins are still complete crap compared to what it would be if I cleaned out all the experimental settings.

I wonder that i still works at all like that.
However: What you see as "warnings" is perfectly normal.
Your /var/adm/messages will grow up quickly.
These tracings are only a help to myself (don't belong there normally).
If something crashed one tails backwards to find out something, that's all.
In theory(!) DRM functions like an perfect clockwork, until at some point (on my mainboard) it stops doing so  :(

Now the only real question is, is this related to my mainboard ('s BIOS) or not.
If not then it is a general bug in Sun/Oracle's port (not at all related to my backport), because 11.1 has the same problems as I foolishly enough found out only yesterday (I only tested it regularily back then before Dec24th, before X11 cam up at all with the backport).
But I made the mistake that after December 24th I never _thoroughly_ tested a normal user session on 11.1 (due to a lack of hdd's I installed Hipster over the old test install).

Could you please try to keep it enabled by default (unless you are wring your Ph.D. thesis in another window)?

I only have one amd computer (unmodified 2005' Ultra20 with Opteron 1.8GHz) and this Intel based box also in a U20 enclosure
(System Configuration: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-S2V-B3
BIOS Configuration: Award Software International, Inc. F8 03/27/2012 with now again Celeron G530 aka Sandy-Celeron 2.4GHz Socket 1155).

I have no other Intel hardware with integrated GPU.

And the i7 2700K is listed as emergency sale here:   http://www.ebay.de/itm/Intel-Core-i7-2700K-3-5-GHz-8-Vcore-Prozessor-CPU-100-OK-not-3770K-2600k-30GHz-/172052290217?hash=item280f1d9aa9:g:YagAAOSwa-dWjIMy

The bigmouthed "person" who wanted to give me a job in Brussels lost patience after KMS was not finished in 2 days (well, he is a capitalist running a ZFS admin biz).

Ahh, forget that.
I'm happy enough if you others on your non-Gigabyte hw won't run into these instabilities after some minutes, hours or even days of running a DRM gnome session with compiz and doing normal work, browsing etc.

Then all the last 2 weeks were only wasted due to my cheap H61 based Gigabyte board!
_IF_ that was the case: Hooray.
Unfortunately I'm afraid it is rather a bug in DRM itself.

If you google for "gpu fault drm" or the like - even on non Oracle OS's such as on LinUX 4.x kernels - DRM can sometimes cause a lot of problems in certain revisions.
If that's would causes the mentioned problems, then we will have a hard time attempting to fix them.

I cannot expect you and everybody's test results (also over a longer testing session, with compiz effects enabled and FF running etc.)

Best regards,
%martin