[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] R.I.P: Ian Murdock got murdered by USA-"Police"

Rick Beets rickbeets at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:22:34 UTC 2016

Unix-brethren,

Indeed there are "others" present, even if not all of us coders, not
all censoring contents offhand, when quite a bit may be "on topic".

I fully endorse what Apostolos said. This is a time to pull together,
and OI needs our best!

We have lost one of our number -no stranger- and it deserves
attention, in this community of people. Ian Murdock, here and in the
FOSS world at large, will be missed...

Learning my bit of *nix skills on Debian  (since 1997!), I owe him a
lot; more, as a Sun user (since 2000), later including OpenSolaris and
our trials with OpenIndiana, alive among my motley collection of retro
Sparc machines.
On the Marketing side, I once managed some projects with Sun and Sun
clients. My small outfit ended up in Sun Partner Advantage for a
while, and, always taking the FOSS road as our service principle, we
were very happy when OpenSolaris came into being. We gave Project
Indiana feedback about it.
Ironically, I never knew that Ian Murdock was in it (contact delegated
to others in my team) -or I'd have surely dropped him a line, hoping
to have a beer.

We who stay behind, go on. OpenIndiana (with apologies, being no coder
I've only contributed "in spirit", so far) surely isn't aeons behind -
if anything, the project has been spared the cumbersome learning
curves of live responses to paying customers' demands, etc.
Yet it's a struggle to keep coding new features in, fixing issues for
the old and the new, keeping up to date with tech developments, with
little support (none financially), to stay in the fight to have a
Release, one day soon.

My sincerest wish is that all be rewarded, indeed, one day soon... and
let's drink one to Ian, when it comes. :-)

Best,
~Rick

rickbeets at gmail.com
operations at ribeco.net
Skype ribeco1

GPG encryption key: http://ribeco.net/pubkeys/rickbeets.txt

This message and any adjoined contents were generated on UNIX/Posix
platforms using Free Software; any third party contents were
additionally Antivirus-scanned, if without guarantees: Sender accepts
no responsibility for this message or its contents, once sent.

To enhance your security, user rights & freedoms, Sender recommends
Free Software.

This message may contain the viewpoint of Sender, not of any
Corporation or Institution of his involvement.
Its contents are strictly PRIVATE and CONFIDENTIAL, privy only to the
intended Addressee(s). If you received this message BY MISTAKE, kindly
DESTROY IT and ALERT Sender. Please help safeguard Internet privacy!