[OpenIndiana-discuss] 32-bit support in OpenIndiana Hipster

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Fri Jan 22 17:03:14 UTC 2016

On 02/16/2015 13:06, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We currently support (in some way) 32-bit systems. We avoid shipping
> 64-binaries in default path or use isaexec for such things.
> But do we really need it? I haven't seen PC (not speaking about server)
> without 64-bit CPU for at least 8 years.
>
> Dropping support for 32-bit systems will allow us to port Oracle sources
> easier. Potentially, this solves time_t overflow. We could think about
> largefile support less.
>
> What are the cons of keeping support for 32-bit systems? I don't see
> much. If you see them, please, speak now.
>
> I'm inclined to make changes, breaking 32-bit systems only after next
> ISO snapshot. Of course, 32-bit libraries will be preserved.

Today I've shipped PostgreSQL 9.5. AMD64 version still doesn't have
PL/Perl support, because we ship 32-bit Perl. The next Perl version
which we ship will be 64-bit only. I don't think there's much benefit in
supporting 32bit systems. So, consider this an official statement.

The next OI Hipster snapshot will no pretend to support 32bit CPUS.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,