[OpenIndiana-discuss] 32-bit support in OpenIndiana Hipster

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jan 22 19:34:18 UTC 2016

22 января 2016 г. 18:03:14 CET, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> пишет:
>On 02/16/2015 13:06, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> We currently support (in some way) 32-bit systems. We avoid shipping
>> 64-binaries in default path or use isaexec for such things.
>> But do we really need it? I haven't seen PC (not speaking about
>server)
>> without 64-bit CPU for at least 8 years.
>>
>> Dropping support for 32-bit systems will allow us to port Oracle
>sources
>> easier. Potentially, this solves time_t overflow. We could think
>about
>> largefile support less.
>>
>> What are the cons of keeping support for 32-bit systems? I don't see
>> much. If you see them, please, speak now.
>>
>> I'm inclined to make changes, breaking 32-bit systems only after next
>> ISO snapshot. Of course, 32-bit libraries will be preserved.
>
>Today I've shipped PostgreSQL 9.5. AMD64 version still doesn't have
>PL/Perl support, because we ship 32-bit Perl. The next Perl version
>which we ship will be 64-bit only. I don't think there's much benefit
>in
>supporting 32bit systems. So, consider this an official statement.
>
>The next OI Hipster snapshot will no pretend to support 32bit CPUS.

Anecdotally, after a recent upgrade of BIOS on my laptop, for about a week it did not support 64-bit VM guests despite Virtualization support marked enabled in BIOS. I tried all sorts of things, until I found that for the past few years (and many releases) this well known vendor has a typo, and this choice is inverted. But by the end of knocking on walls with my head, I was morally prepared to continue using the existing Hipster guest installation as a 32-bit one, and happy that I could seamlessly do so.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android