[OpenIndiana-discuss] 32-bit support in OpenIndiana Hipster

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 20:00:51 UTC 2016

Hello,

There's something wrong with this picture...

I do not think there is, considering that I was asking about the long term
goal and not providing a transition recipe to be implemented right away.

> So if your goal is really to drop 32-bit support (and thereby alienate
> those with 32-bit systems to support),

I think Alexander raised the concern one year ago and there was barely any
feedback nor interest in helping.
Decisions being made based on feedback and available workforce, people
should speak up :)

People having to support 32bit systems then should support 32bit support on
OI ;)

2. actually take advantage of isaexec by producing and distributing both
> 32- and 64-bit libraries and executables

After those issues are addressed, changing the default compilation mode for
> 64-bit
> systems should be painless (and is expected to provide performance benefits
> on 64-bit i86 platforms).

If we lived in a dreamland of unlimited resources I would agree.

> It would also be nice to reduce the (physical) memory requirement,
> especially of the OI installer which uniquely (compared to BSD and most
> Linux installers)

Indeed it would be nice to have someone working on the installer if you
have an interest in that.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> wrote:

> On 02/16/2015 13:06, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> We currently support (in some way) 32-bit systems. We avoid shipping
>> 64-binaries in default path or use isaexec for such things.
>> But do we really need it? I haven't seen PC (not speaking about server)
>> without 64-bit CPU for at least 8 years.
>>
>> Dropping support for 32-bit systems will allow us to port Oracle sources
>> easier. Potentially, this solves time_t overflow. We could think about
>> largefile support less.
>>
>> What are the cons of keeping support for 32-bit systems? I don't see
>> much. If you see them, please, speak now.
>>
>> I'm inclined to make changes, breaking 32-bit systems only after next
>> ISO snapshot. Of course, 32-bit libraries will be preserved.
>>

> Today I've shipped PostgreSQL 9.5. AMD64 version still doesn't have
> PL/Perl support, because we ship 32-bit Perl. The next Perl version which
> we ship will be 64-bit only. I don't think there's much benefit in
> supporting 32bit systems. So, consider this an official statement.
>
> The next OI Hipster snapshot will no pretend to support 32bit CPUS.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Alexander Pyhalov,
> system administrator of Southern Federal University IT department

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings