[OpenIndiana-discuss] 32-bit support in OpenIndiana Hipster

Thomas Wagner tom-oi-discuss at tom.bn-ulm.de
Fri Jan 22 21:28:28 UTC 2016

> > The next OI Hipster snapshot will no pretend to support 32bit CPUS.
The question is here, booting the 32-bit Kernel. That might be abandoned.
32-bit programs can continue to run as well as 64-bit programs

If the question is about changing the directory layout, I would vote
for *don't* change it.

If the directory layout is kept as it is, then you can for instance
deliver a 64-bit-only program /usr/bin/ and its libs into /usr/lib/%arch64/

I would not start delivering 64-bit-libs into /usr/lib/ as this leads to all
sorts of confusions during the transition phase.

Perl and python are special cases, as they usually have their own directory
space for modules and binary objects. Making perl 64-bit would mean *all*
consumers of perl which add extra binary objects need to recompile everything
at one point in time. SFE binary repo would such an example, and all users
who maintain reihr own perl modules.

If Perl changes version numbers in a way that a new /usr/perl/m.n directory
is created, then this would be a suitable point in time where it can change
from 32- to 64-bit. Then only users with private perl modules will be "hit".

So, I would say: Don't break with your own old binaries, then fine.

Thomas