[OpenIndiana-discuss] Disk re-labelling and zfs

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:44:49 UTC 2016

I was hoping that someone else would reply to this, someone with more
knowledge of how it worked ...

The issue that I'm aware of is that the Grub system doesn't understand
about new devices and cannot find the root pool to import if the device it
is attached to has changed.

We had a system, a little while ago, that we wanted to replace the disk
controller on.  we put the 2 root drives on the new controller, got the
grub prompt and promptly reboot cycled.  We put the drives back on the
original and everything worked, so we knew it wasn't the drives ...

What we eventually did was drop one disk from the pool, move it to the new
controller, add it to the pool in mirror, grub-install on the "new" disk,
reboot, drop the second disk, move it to the new controller, add the disk
to the pool in mirror, grub-install and reboot.

My guess is that as long as you can keep the USB device booting, you would
be better off using the USB device as USB and then cloning it to the new
internal drive.

Jon