[OpenIndiana-discuss] Looking for experienced user input on specific Machine purchase

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 10:16:27 UTC 2016

Hello,

This is an interesting topic. OpenIndiana has the device driver utility
> which is capable of uploading the results of a compatibility scan.
> Unfortunately that tool is configured to send those results to a server
> side infrastructure which no longer exists.
>
> If this could be reprogrammed to send those result to an OI server,
> perhaps something could be done with the information...e.g. an improved HCL
> could be assembled.

I suggested something similar a long time ago but it requires repackaging
and updating the ddu utility first as there is no repository for this tool
(disappeared with opensolaris.org) and the C source has been partially lost
(now moved back to Solaris ON and thus closed).
That's also why there is no component in oi-userland, it is waiting
patiently on the list though:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Migration+of+consolidations+to+oi-userland

I created a repository and started fixing the missing bits a while ago but
this is going very slowly as it lies at the bottom of my TODO list... If
there is an interest I can setup a public repository.

> At this time there is some HCL information on the OI Wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Components
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Systems
>
> There is also the illumos HCL:
>
> https://www.illumos.org/hcl/
>

> To answer the OP's question of compatibility, I'd say yes, most HP
> workstation class systems would likely work fine. I have an entry level
> Z210 and it works nearly perfectly with OpenIndiana Hipster. It does not
> suffer the crackling sound issues I have seen on my home NAS, which has an
> Intel brand desktop class motherboard.
>
> IMHO....a single Xeon Z210 system is probably a better choice over a dual
> Xeon system, which is probably overkill for a home NAS. That said, the
> limitation of the Z210 is the number of disk drives it can hold, which is
> 3. I suppose with removable 5.25 drive trays, this capacity could be
> expanded to 6 to match the number of available SATA ports.
>
> Michael

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings