[OpenIndiana-discuss] Updated OpenIndiana FAQ

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sun Jan 31 18:03:07 UTC 2016

Jay F. Shachter писал 31.01.2016 18:13:
> g/it's/s//its/g
>
> Actually, there were only two, but they were both wrong.
>
> "Does Openindiana provide a SPARC release?" -- maybe you could direct
> the interested reader to Solaris-like systems that do support SPARC.
> To the best of my knowledge, the only open-source Solaris-like system
> that supports SPARC is the ancient and unsupported OpenSolaris itself,
> and there are two free, but closed-source Solaris-like systems that
> support SPARC, namely Oracle Solaris, and OpenSXCE.  Of these two,
> OpenSXCE supports a wider range of legacy hardware.  All of this is,
> perhaps, irrelevant in an OpenIndiana FAQ, but it wouldn't take up
> much space, and there will be readers of the FAQ who are interested in
> the answer.

 From what I know, there are several illumos distributions, supporting
SPARC.
These are Dilos, OpenSXCE and Tribblix. There is (unofficial)
OpenIndiana for SPARC ISO, based
IIRC on 151a8 (http://neutron-star.mit.edu/OpenIndiana_Text_SPARC.iso).
There are some efforts to create distribution for SPARC based on OI
Hipster,
but I don't know how well this project is progressing. So, perhaps, we
can mention
it, as it's first of all OI FAQ.
---