[OpenIndiana-discuss] ufsdump/ufsrestore

Dr Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Fri Jul 1 16:11:33 UTC 2016

Configuration:
Sun Ultra-40m2 with 32mb of memory, a 2tb sata drive, 2 sas drives and
an LTO-3 tape drive. ZFS on all the drives except the 2tb sata drive
which is a UFS formatted drive.

Under OI-151a9 I use ufsdump/restore to transfer multi-tb data sets
between sites that have limited network bandwidth. I use UFS/dump/restore
because I can get 41mb/s to the tape with ufsdump/ufsrestore rather than
the 12mb/s via gnutar/cpio or 2mb/s with Schilly tar.

I recently added a 80gb sata drive to test OI-Hipster. On a whole
OI-Hipster is a significant improvement EXCEPT with regards to ufsrestore.
Ufsrestore dumps core shortly after starting up. I copied the ufsrestore
from OI-151a9 and as is well.

A "where" from dbx /usr/sbin/ufsrestore shows (addresses deleted):

[1] lookupparent
[2] addentry
[3] initsymtable
[4] main

Signal SEGV [access to address exceeded protection] in lookupparent at
0x805b168

0x805b168: lookupparent+0x007a  movb $0x0000000 (%esi)

Cheers
RWP