[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenGL/3D application

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 06:41:59 UTC 2016

Ok, I tried more recent version of Paraview without success, especially as
> v5+ requires cmake 3.x to compile.

CMake 3.x compiles and installs out of the box.

> So this is the only 3D OpenGL application we have working.
> I'm trying to dig out what is not working properly in wine 3D stuff. This
> is the reason I'm asking this, I need to have a reference that works.
>

> Did you have to do anything special to compile v4.1? v4.4 does seem to
> require some jugling with compiler options?

I have v4.3.1, it requires 2 patches:

1) undef SS and GS in
./Plugins/SciberQuestToolKit/SciberQuest/vtkSQFieldTopologySelect.h
2) ios::cur clash in
./VTK/ThirdParty/xdmf2/vtkxdmf2/libsrc/XdmfValuesBinary.cxx

 and specific compiler options for turning visibility off and add libs at
linking

cmake \
-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/g++ \
-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-m64 \
-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/bin/gcc \
-DCMAKE_C_FLAGS=-m64 \
-DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS=-m64 \
-DCMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER=/usr/bin/gfortran \
-DCMAKE_Fortran_FLAGS=-m64 \
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/paraview/4.3.1 \
-DCMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS=-m64 -lsocket -lnsl \
-DCMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS=-m64 -lsocket -lnsl \
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF \
-DPARAVIEW_USE_MPI:BOOL=OFF \
-DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON:BOOL=OFF \
-DPARAVIEW_BUILD_QT_GUI:BOOL=ON \
-DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/amd64/qmake \
-DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_FFMPEG:BOOL=OFF \
-DUSE_COMPILER_HIDDEN_VISIBILITY:BOOL=OFF \
-DVTK_USE_GCC_VISIBILITY:BOOL=OFF \
 /scratch/alarcher/paraview/4.3.1/ParaView-v4.3.1-source

You may add other flags for MPI support and use static linking but then the
binary is 500MB.
Even with dynamic linking the size is much bigger than on Debian.
I can share a tarball with the static build if needed.

> PS :
> As reference WebGL demo from the following pages do work on firefox 45.0.2
> + Nvidia driver 340.96
> https://www.chromeexperiments.com/webgl
> https://davidwalsh.name/webgl-demo

Yes they do and also with Intel KMS driver but then performance is not good.

> PS2 :
> To Nikola, I'm fully aware that my way of posting to the list is not
> compatible with everyone's client thread management, I'm working that out
> as well.
>

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 12:53:48PM +0000, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> >

> > À ven. juil. 8 01:00:07 2016 GMT+0200, bentahyr at chez.com a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is anyone using current Hipster with 3D/OpenGL software whether it is
> for data visualisation or any other purposes. The only 3D application I
> have working in Hipster is Firefox running WebGL demos.
> > > I sense something fishy in the Mesa/OpenGL stack on Hipster but I
> cannot find any standard I could use to benchmark the stack.
> >
> > I have Paraview 4.1 compiled on Hipster.
> >

> > > Best regards.
> > > Ben

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings