[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] OpenIndiana Code of Conduct

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 12:00:27 UTC 2016

Adam,

Thanks for doing this. In my view, it's long overdue.

Comments below.

As part of a larger effort at providing a more formal governance structure
> for the OpenIndiana project,

So, there is a wider context to this. Which is a good thing, but it would
be good to have
that fleshed out. Not necessarily conclusions, but it would be good for the
community at
large to understand what's missing and what's being done about it.

> I’d like to announce on the behalf of OI developers the adoption of an
> OpenIndiana Code of Conduct. The draft text for this new document can be
> found at http://www.openindiana.org/community/code-of-conduct/.
>
> We would also like to point out this draft document is open to discussion
> and acceptance by the community.
> Our desire is for the discussion to be civil and for it to center around
> the verbiage of the Code of Conduct.
> We do not wish for the discussion to go off topic, or question the need
> for such a document.
>
> Please compose your thoughts and comment with as few replies as necessary
> so the community may solidify the final text of this document.

Overall, I'm happy with most of this. It's about the right length, as well.

I think you need an explicit reporting mechanism. Something like "email
abuse at openindiana.org"
or the like. (Of course, you need that to be routed somewhere.) And the
first statement about
confidentiality means that the 2nd part about not being made public is
redundant. There's also
no mention of consequences.

--
-Peter Tribble