[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing Hipster

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Jun 9 16:41:38 UTC 2016

On 09/06/2016 18:26, Peter Tribble wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) <udo.grabowski at kit.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> A seemingly very simple question:
>>
>>    - How to install a fresh (nonupdate) complete new Hipster
>>      instance from an old /dev OI into a new BE ?
>
> I've implemented a couple of variants of this idea for Tribblix.
>
> 1. Boot from live media and have an alternative installer that differs
> from the normal installer in that it uses the existing rpool rather than
> creating a new one. The advantage of this method is that you're using
> the same bits to do the install that you're actually installing, which
> greatly simplifies matters.

That's probably the more sane solution, booting into a live VM on
the running machine and somehow present a mounted new (and empty)
BE from the running machine to the VM; so the new pkg is used which
seems to be needed (see my next answer to Nikola). We can't yet
boot the running host into a live CD, since that is a production
machine.

> 2. Install a zone from an arbitrary ISO. (In practice, the script has to
> know how each distro builds the ISO, so it's not entirely arbitrary.)
> The script I use is at the URL below, you could probably modify it
> to install into an alternate BE - about the only change you would
> need is to not delete /boot /kernel and /devices. You then need to
> fiddle the grub menu. And I'm not sure whether the manual removal
> of the live image piece is correct for hipster, as the last time I ran this
> for OI was pre-hipster. Note that I never invoke pkg at all.
>
> https://github.com/tribblix/tribblix-zones/blob/master/usr/lib/brand/alien-root/live-iso-unpack
>
> So it's possible, but will probably involve some fiddling.

Yes, that's the pedestrian's solution, I thought I could avoid
that since I've done the reverse cumbersome action a couple
of times when changing boot-archives in live CD's ... it's
not the fastest way to get there. But I think that's currently
the only way I know how to proceed without any further unknown
problems blocking progress.

Thanks for help !
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php