[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing Hipster

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Jun 9 16:58:20 UTC 2016

On 09/06/2016 18:29, Nikola M wrote:
> On 06/ 9/16 04:46 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>> A seemingly very simple question:
>>
>> - How to install a fresh (nonupdate) complete new Hipster instance from an
>> old /dev OI into a new BE ?
>
> There is a manual on wiki for complicated but detailed manual install
> (http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Manual+installation+of+OpenIndiana+from+LiveCD+media).

That's more or less the method Peter described, which I will try next.

> It is true there is no option in installer (both GUI installer and text
> installer) to install fresh into new empty BE on existing system. People are
>  invited to make it happen by changing installers with adding that option.

Thinking about that (in face of the problems I've encountered), I'm now
convinced that that is logically not possible, since the install process
sometimes needs features only available in the new pkg and its environment.

> I would like it could be done to do fresh install using pkg operations, like
>  beadm mount BEname /mnt pkg image-create /mnt , pkg -R /mnt set-publisher -g
>  http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/  openindiana.org ,pkg -R /mnt refresh ,
> pkg -R /mnt install entire But couldn't be done (just tried) , at least it is
> an idea :) Maybe dissecting installer source and commands can say what it is
> doing when doing fresh install, and that is one step closer to patching it to
> support fresh install on new zfs dataset/BE.

Funny, exactly this was what we tried after my initial mail.
Set up a second independent local repository (we already have one for /dev)
(see https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/E21803/glrai.html how to do
that), then (insane hack!) changed all references to openindiana.org
in all files to hipster (since pkg is not happy with 2 openindiana.org
instances), pkgrepo rebuild, then pkg image-create onto the blank new BE,
then tried to install entire; but that installed nearly nothing. So tried
'*' instead, which seemed to succeed, but ended here:

/hipster# pkg -R /hipster install -g http://server:10001/hipster/ '*'
Creating Plan \
pkg install: No matching version of SUNWsmcmd can be installed:
    Reject:  pkg://hipster/SUNWsmcmd@5.0.9,5.11-0.130:20160509T104252Z
    Reason:  All acceptable versions of 'require' dependency on
pkg:/SUNWnet-snmp-utils at 5.4.1,5.11-0.132 are obsolete
No matching version of SUNWnet-snmp-utils can be installed:
    Reject:  pkg://hipster/SUNWnet-snmp-utils@5.4.1,5.11-0.132:20160509T104126Z
    Reason:  All acceptable versions of 'require' dependency on
pkg:/SUNWnet-snmp-core at 5.4.1,5.11-0.133 are obsolete
No matching version of SUNWsmmgr can be installed:
    Reject:  pkg://hipster/SUNWsmmgr@5.0.9,5.11-0.130:20160509T104254Z
    Reason:  All acceptable versions of 'require' dependency on
pkg:/SUNWnet-snmp-core at 5.4.1,5.11-0.133 are obsolete
No matching version of web/amp can be installed:
    Reject:  pkg://hipster/web/amp@0.5.11,5.11-2015.0.2.0:20151027T090249Z
    Reason:  A version for 'require' dependency on
pkg:/metapackages/amp at 0.5.11,5.11-2015.0.2.0 cannot be found
No matching version of SUNWproduct-registry-root can be installed:
    Reject:
pkg://hipster/SUNWproduct-registry-root@0.5.11,5.11-0.130:20160509T104157Z
    Reason:  All acceptable versions of 'require' dependency on
pkg:/system/management/product-registry at 0.5.11,5.11-0.151 are obsolete

Ok, don't need them now, so changed their package entries to 'obsolete',
pkgrepo rebuild again, hooray!, download succeeds, but just before
the end of the install phase plunged into a hole:

/hipster# pkg -R /hipster install -g http://server:10001/hipster/ '*'
            Packages to install: 2415
            Mediators to change:   20
        Create boot environment:   No
Create backup boot environment:   No
             Services to change:   15

DOWNLOAD                                  PKGS       FILES    XFER (MB)
Completed                              2415/2415 389709/389709 5127.5/5127.5

PHASE                                        ACTIONS
Install Phase                            44637/476854Action install failed for
'powerdns' (pkg://hipster/service/network/dns/powerdns-recursor):
   KeyError: 'getgrnam(): name not found: powerdns'
The Boot Environment hipster-2016 failed to be updated. A snapshot was taken
before the failed attempt and has been restored so no changes have been made to
hipster-2016.
pkg: An unexpected error happened during install: 'getgrnam(): name not found:
powerdns'
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 5975, in handle_errors
     __ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 5958, in main_func
     pargs=pargs, **opts)
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 2275, in install
     update_index=update_index)
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 1604, in __api_op
     ret_code = __api_execute_plan(_op, _api_inst)
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 1290, in __api_execute_plan
     api_inst.execute_plan()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/client/api.py", line 2177, in
execute_plan
     self._img.imageplan.execute()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/client/imageplan.py", line 2970,
in execute
     p.execute_install(src, dest)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/client/pkgplan.py", line 446, in
execute_install
     dest.install(self, src)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/actions/user.py", line 126, in
install
     self.attrs["group"]))
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/client/image.py", line 3592, in
get_group_by_name
     self.type != IMG_USER)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/portable/os_unix.py", line 103,
in get_group_by_name
     return grp.getgrnam(name).gr_gid
KeyError: 'getgrnam(): name not found: powerdns'

"pkg: This is an internal error in pkg(5) version 1b157a5cc2c4+.  Please log a
Service Request about this issue including the information above and this
message."

So this seems to be one of those newer services the old pkg and
host libraries do not have, so no way to do that from the old host.

Thanks for your detailed suggestions!
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php