[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Docs - Demo 2.0

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 03:56:21 UTC 2016

On 06/14/16 04:58 PM, Dmitry Kozhinov wrote:
>> I don't Use iPhone, I use Openindiana.
>
> The website is not made for you, it's made for visitors. Can you
> please take a look at openindiana.org website stats and tell us what
> OS/device visitors use most?

It is interesting information for OI website, regarding visitors etc,
yes.  Website is made for visitors, yes, and it is made for me as OI user.
But It doesn't mean site needs to be ugly and unusable on OI desktop
because of influx of mobile users. Main concern is how it looks like for
OI users, second concern is how it looks for others. And OI does not run
on mobile phones.
People seeking information most certainly will use OI desktop (or other
desktops), because of general illumos distro orientation toward server
use (that have a DE as an extension).
There are now also other smaller illumos distros that also ship desktop
(tribblix/SVR4, XStreamos/IPS), with OI being well known and most used.
And they also don't run on mobile phones.
There are benefits of OI site to be rendered nice on Mobile platforms,
yes, but I won't hold my breath of it's big usability pressure,
regarding target audience for site and distribution as a whole.

Also it is another topic actually , where personal site like this can be
viewed as an inspiration if there are (better) articles.
Quality of writing and is factual state are that matters.
"Docs" are made by closely following actual changes in software and
documenting them. It is a dull thing, actually.. (plus producing Pdfs
and Html representation at the end).
They are the final stage of a long process of Blogs, articles, writings,
documenting changes, boiling manuals over tim to actual documentation
form. it is actually something people can reference and that includes
best practices and errors or mistakes in it can actually cost people
lives and jobs..
Writing on Wiki allows to easily contribute articles if one have actual
need to articulate something hes/she finds interesting for others.