[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg info slowness/ram usage

Bryan Wann bwann at wann.net
Mon Mar 14 07:25:51 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I’m preparing a new OI hipster-2015 machine to replace my old OI 151a2 box. I am running Chef on both with recipes to keep a couple dozen IPS package up-to-date. I noticed checking packages was very slow, dug into it and noticed the underlying “pkg info” command is very slow to return, 7-8 seconds. Watching prstat I also noticed the pkg process grows very quickly to 400-500 MB RSS before it returns. This seems like a lot of RAM to be eating up for a simple info command (which gets repeated each time as Chef checks each package).

Compared to my old 151a2 box, the same command there returns in ~1 second and only consumes around 40 MB of memory. I’m not using any exotic pkg publishers, just the standard openindiana.org/hipster-2015 and sfe repos.

Any ideas of what may be causing this slowness and/or memory usage?

root at newbox:/root# time /usr/bin/pkg info -r ntp
          Name: service/network/ntp
      Category: System/Services
         State: Installed
     Publisher: openindiana.org
       Version: 4.2.8.6
        Branch: 2015.0.2.0
Packaging Date: February  3, 2016 10:25:17 PM
          Size: 4.25 MB
          FMRI: pkg://openindiana.org/service/network/ntp@4.2.8.6-2015.0.2.0:20160203T222517Z
   Project URL: http://www.ntp.org/
    Source URL: http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ntp-4.2/ntp-4.2.8p6.tar.gz