[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Docs (proof of concept) - What is it all about?

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri May 6 05:00:55 UTC 2016

On 05/ 5/16 04:43 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> Wiki is much more appropriate space for writing articles like those Michael
>> is writing.
>>
>> People writing articles should not be forced to use github and also Wiki
>> articles are instantly visible on site and could be edited by existing
>> people and there is also space on personal blogs for random articles that
>> could be integrated after re-visioning them.

Let's look at it as personal web page/blog and one of many sources of
writings on the web in general.

Process with writing articles goes like this:
You write article on your blog, whatever -> It goes on Wiki -> It spends
some time there baking -> Ends up in edited updated XML documentation.
That is what makes sense, that articles on Wiki are always current, that
articles are edited and checked on openindiana.org , following OI
hipster changes, while renewed docs are following OI snapshots.

> People will not be forced to use Github and they are not mutually exclusive.
> See it as a way to consolidate existing documentation fed from wikis and
> blogs.

Not accepting "authority" of someone's private Github repo and I
generally see it as trolling OI at big scale.

Documentation will surely not going to be "consolidated" through third
party remotely-controlled sites, outside openindiana.org.
I surely care for people's privacy when contacting OI, while doing it
with third-party sites it is not caring for.

Don't attempt to avoid Wiki, and openinidiana.org , and any decision
process for OI, and replace existing documentation, renewed docs and
newly added Wiki articles with some patting in the dark, that will
resulting in endlessly unfixable results.
Don't undermine recommendation and guidance provided, refusing real
documentation as a whole and it's license (I warn docs license is to be
fully upholded) and contributor agreement process that should not be
avoided.

> I sometimes write short notes for myself on a Wiki: once they are mature
> enough they could be reviewed and added to the repository as part of the
> Handbook.

"Handbook" is immaturely crafted idea. There is the difference between
"Manuals", "Cookbooks" and "Blogs" and OS documentation and this is
neither, it is not short and simple like manual for a Wiki, nor what
serious docs are supposed to be. It is someone's mutated personal blog
in a form of Github web page.

Not only that Wiki will not migrate to outside sites (and it's not about
technical but managerial things and docs things),  and I don't like
seeing my recommendations being misused in some private project, that is
_not_ OI docs.

Not to mention the need to have docs baking process and tools for
building it in-house and not scattered all over the web.