[OpenIndiana-discuss] ssh to servers with recent openssh

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed May 11 17:24:12 UTC 2016

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] ssh to servers with recent openssh, Kim...:

> I have troubles connecting ssh to servers with newer openssh version doe
> to no common kex algorithm.
> Is there a way to fix this without changing the remote server config?

I've seen the same, and the issue was discussed on the list in the past.

OpenIndiana's default SSH (client and server) dates from the days when
Sun had their own fork of ssh -- I forget which branch theirs derives
from, but it's not from (portable) OpenSSH.

If you have the 'sfe' package publisher added on your OI system, there's
a 'network/openssh' package that contains OpenSSH 6.2.2 clients.  I
haven't tried it, but it will probably have support for newer algorithms
than the default (Sun) ssh.

> no common kex alg: client
> 'diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1', server
> 'curve25519-sha256 at libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2-nistp521,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1'

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)