[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] OpenIndiana Docs - updated

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon May 16 12:41:31 UTC 2016

On 05/16/2016 06:58, Michael Kruger wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Reporting my progress so nobody gets the idea this little technology
> demonstration project has been abandoned. Far from it, there has been
> continued development.
>
> See it all here: http://makruger.github.io/website/

Some notes:
http://makruger.github.io/website/pages/docs/faq.html:
1) Sun/Oracle’s proprietary OS/NET consolidation has been replaced with
illumos-gate. => Sun OS/NET consolidation, closed by Oracle, has been
replaced...  I mean, OS/NET was open.... until Oracle came;
2) What are the recommended hardware specifications... I'm not sure
about 4GB... It can be true for desktop/decent server, but you shurely
can run OI with 2GB RAM or even less. I've just checked, my OI VM with
GUI has 2 GB RAM... Perhaps, we can distinguish minimal and recommended
requirements?

http://makruger.github.io/website/pages/docs/handbook.html
Besides synchronizing to Handbook on the wiki, other notes:
1) Booting physical hardware - seems irrelevant, better to provide links
to illumos HCL and OI community HCL.
2) 2.1.2. Booting Virtual Hardware
No special tricks are required for Virtualbox, just mention to select os
type Solaris 11 64-bit.
3) 2.2. The OpenIndiana Boot Menu
  You should eventually be presented with a desktop. - irrelevant to
Text Install images.
4) Perhaps, need to mention that UEFI boot is still not supported.
5) 4.2  When you boot from the text installer, it immediately begins the
installation process using the previously described Text based Guided
Install.
Not entirely true, it also can spawn shell and be used as recovery image.

Other general note. If we have to use some documentation tools to write
OI documentation, they should be available in OI repository. Perhaps
it's not true for IDEs, but basic tools should be there.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,