[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] OpenIndiana Docs - updated

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon May 16 20:41:48 UTC 2016

16 мая 2016 г. 21:02:10 CEST, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> пишет:
>Peter Tribble писал 16.05.2016 21:13:
>> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru>
>wrote:
>
>> It's probably worth clarifying 32-bit support. I recall Alexander
>> saying
>> recently
>> that it had been effectively dropped, I'm not sure exactly what that
>> means.
>> (I
>> know that OI hasn't really supported 32-bit for a while,  I think
>> 64-bit
>> only X
>> was the tipping point.)
>
>This means we start accepting 64-bit-only components and allow
>delivering 64-bit applications in standard paths.
>There was some issue with IPS on 32-bit systems, which noone really
>took
>care to debug.
>---
>System Administrator of Southern Federal University Computer Center

But that said, a lot of userland recipes build 32-bit deliveries only. It is a sort of requirement to do deliver both bitnesses for libraries and related files (.pc and *-config scripts, rarely headers where applicable). Quite a few OSS projects do not cater for multiarch OSes and have to be chiseled if you want both 32 and 64 bit builds (not impossible, but more complicated than just pulling a tarball and uttering 'gmake publish').

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android