[OpenIndiana-discuss] asrock usb only

Christian Meier meierch75 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 07:19:56 UTC 2016

Hello Gabriele
> Maybe someone already had this problem with installing OI on a similar system.
> I'm having the issue while installing XStreamOS, but I think there is no difference, it's about illumos, I think.
> I was trying to reinstall from scratch an asrock based nas-like system.
> I originally installed the system using an internal dvd, which is no more there.
> Now I tried both using an external usb-dvd, and an usb key with the XStreamOS install.
> Both stop during startup of text-install, going to administration mode for some reason: actually I believe the system is no more capable of readinig the filesystem for some problem with the usb driver when it's loaded.
> The original installed system can still boot and see usb keyboard.
> I have some options on bios for usb:
> - legacy enabled : keyboard works both on bios and system after boot
> - legacy disabled: prefer not to use this mode, or I will have no keyboard during UEFI, no way to enter bios or boot sequence, so no way to get back but resetting the cmos...
> - legacy auto: same as first
> - uefi only: keyboard will work only during bios boot, no more later
> I can't see a way to install....any idea?

I had the same issue last week.
First I guess there was a issue during writing the data to the USB
I tested the USB on several systems, the only that was working was an
old ASUS netboot (eee-pc)
So I guess it must have to do something with 32/64Bit or processor type,
all other systems which are not working are 64bit

May this help
Regards Christian