[OpenIndiana-discuss] ASUS Z170-WS

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu May 19 23:30:26 UTC 2016

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] ASUS Z170-WS, Joe Reid said (at 5:57pm...:

> I was thinking of migrating from Solaris to OI and was wondering if anyone
> knew of the ASUS Z170-WS mobo works?  What's the current state of Skylake and
> the Z170 chipset?

What's your timeline for doing this?

I ask, because I'm doing a build for Windows using a relative of that
board, and I could try OI hipster on it just to see what works, before
I do the actual install of Windows.

It will probably be a few weeks before I'm in a position to try it,
though.

Without even testing it, I know that the USB3 or 3.1 support won't work,
since Illumos doesn't support USB 3.

I also can't remember if the ASUS Z170 boards are UEFI only; based on a
recent comment (I think from Alexander), Illumos doesn't support UEFI
boot.  That could be a show-stopper.

I'll be certain to update the HCL on the OpenIndiana wiki when I have the
board and can test it, but as I said, that will be several weeks yet.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)