[Userland] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Feature #2876] sysidcfg name_service setting to enforce fetching DNS config from DHCP

illumos project devnull at illumos.org
Fri Jul 5 12:50:55 UTC 2013

Issue #2876 has been updated by Ken Mays.

Assignee set to OI Userland

Feature #2876: sysidcfg name_service setting to enforce fetching DNS config from DHCP
https://www.illumos.org/issues/2876

Author: Jim Klimov
Assignee: OI Userland
Category:
Target version:
Difficulty: Medium
Tags: needs-triage

In /etc/sysidcfg templates we can set name_service to be DNS, LDAP, NIS or NONE. Would it be inappropriate to define a new type and set it to "DHCP" (and then fetch name-service info from DHCP)?

Some networking clients might want the changes to their DNS/nsswitch config files from a dynamic wizard, others might not. The policy might even differ per-local zone (see also bug #2875 regarding DHCP-DNS support for local zones).  For example, there is "fear" of scripts which might corrupt manually crafted settings for files+dns+ldap host lookups, etc.

So far I have not seen any configurable switch that would *request* or *forbid* changes to the /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf files using data from DHCP.

As an option, might it make sense to integrate this solution (an SMF service to combine user-preferred and DHCP-dynamic resolver options, which can then be enabled or disabled on a particular zone)?
* http://thestaticvoid.com/post/2011/01/11/persistent-search-domains-with-nwam-and-dhcp/

To change your notification preferences, please click here: http://www.illumos.org/my/account