[oi-dev] Fwd: [developer] Please review 4989 - BIS

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue Jul 22 15:11:35 UTC 2014

ntfs-3g doesn't depend on ntfsprogs.

I'd not heard that GParted wasn't supported on illumos, although I'm not
terribly surprised.  These days, dual boot seems to be infrequently used --
long since supplanted by use of virtualization technology (which is lots
easier for everyone to use.)

Does anyone within reach of this email still use dual boot systems?
 (Hmm... I had been doing so as recently as two years ago, and I still have
one system that is configured that way, but I've not booted 'the other
system' in a very long time indeed.)

GParted was introduced to facilitate having users try out OpenSolaris on
their laptops running Windows.  It was seen as a key enabler for those
masses of low income students in China that ponytail was so intent on
luring with the desktop focus Sun had just prior to its acquisition by
Oracle.  Its unclear that the strategy had even small amounts of success in
that regard; VirtualBox was a much better approach IMO.

If OI/hipster are prepared for this change, then I think it can proceed.