[oi-dev] Fwd: [developer] Please review 4989 - BIS

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 16:27:33 UTC 2014

On 07/22/14 05:11 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> ntfs-3g doesn't depend on ntfsprogs.
>
> I'd not heard that GParted wasn't supported on illumos, although I'm
> not terribly surprised.  These days, dual boot seems to be
> infrequently used -- long since supplanted by use of virtualization
> technology (which is lots easier for everyone to use.)
>
> Does anyone within reach of this email still use dual boot systems?
>  (Hmm... I had been doing so as recently as two years ago, and I still
> have one system that is configured that way, but I've not booted 'the
> other system' in a very long time indeed.)
>
> GParted was introduced to facilitate having users try out OpenSolaris
> on their laptops running Windows.  It was seen as a key enabler for
> those masses of low income students in China that ponytail was so
> intent on luring with the desktop focus Sun had just prior to its
> acquisition by Oracle.  Its unclear that the strategy had even small
> amounts of success in that regard; VirtualBox was a much better
> approach IMO.
>
> If OI/hipster are prepared for this change, then I think it can proceed.
OI is not prepared for this change untill parted and gparted are put
inside OI to serve it's users like they used to. (Would also thing other
distros should be informed about is at least) If Gparted and parted are
not illumos problem anymore, then don't let there be more problems for
users.

Also, if there were not 'ponytail', we probably won't have Opensolaris
and therefore, illumos.

And yes I am using laptop in dual-boot that had windows first installed.
(an old laptop now but that should improve) Probably next laptop will be
same configured if not triple booted with Linux.  And no, I am not
Chinese if that matters...
And yes it is crucial to give to people CD (or point them to USB image)
and say: You have everything you need to install it in dual-boot without
touching your current system to get know with the platform.
Someone thinking that dual-boot is not important - is problem of
perspective with interacting with New people.

VirtualBox on illumos only works with OI. VirtualBox till recently was
known for being slow for compiling illumos inside of it, maybe now is
faster?

Nonetheless, saying that people are using this and that should be backed
up with some kind of research and
my humble opinion is that Desktop/OI is important for illumos and
removing things from illumos should be better coordinated (and explained).
Yes, people will keep using dual-booting windows,Linux and I hope they
would use OI to administer servers running on illumos distros.
As I understand illumos exists to run on bare metal and provide VMs for
other platforms and not other way around (What's new with illumos I/O
drivers for KVM as a guest?)

Saying to people not to run it on bare metal is not helping with
defending platform market place as a whole and wide it's use base. And
'ponytail' was right on that.

At the end of the day, best thing with OI Hipster is that it is using
fresh build of updated illumos, and one using Openiindiana (Presumably
running on laptop..) can in time observe things that affect users,
kernel people don't care about.
So they don't end up in messed up in a products users/customers would use.
Last thing I witnessed is that Standby on my (dual-boot) laptop stopped
working a while ago (it just locks with black screen and it used to work
as far as March/2014 with no problem).

nikolam