[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 source code leaked?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Dec 20 16:05:23 UTC 2011

On 12/20/11 03:43, Gabriel de la Cruz wrote:
> The code comes together with legal guidelines how to use it... as long
> as those guidelines are followed, there is nothing wrong about it.

If I take something you wrote and post it without your permission under a
license you didn't approve it to be distributed under, I'm sure you'd agree
there's something very wrong with that.   I can't relicense Linux to CDDL by
just throwing up a torrent of its sources with a bunch of CDDL notices in.

Without any sort of Oracle statement that this is an intentional release,
and with no links to it from an official Oracle site (including
opensolaris.org), you have to assume it's unauthorized.

[Just to be clear, I am *NOT* any sort of authorized Oracle spokesman and not
  issuing any statement on behalf of Oracle.   I am simply an engineer with many
  years of experience dealing with software licensing around open source
  projects, offering my personal perspective.   This is always true for things
  I post to mailing lists, but most especially true in this case.]

> This is not marked as classified or proprietary,

Have you checked every file in it for such markings?   Preparing the source
releases is not a simple process, and if someone unfamiliar with that process
was to just grab it, they might well include such files, either by mistake or
malicious intent.

Of course, you also have no guarantee that any file you find on an anonymous
torrent is the actual unmodified source code, and has not been tampered with
in any way to sneak in subtle back doors or other issues, or that it's the
final product with all the showstopper bugs fixed.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com