[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update info?

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Tue May 24 08:21:03 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I too don't appreciate the flamewar on here of Solaris vs Linux, sudo vs pfexec.

If you don't like sudo, you don't have to use it. It's as simple as that.

But bringing the default in-line with other modern-day Unixes such as MacOS and most of the major Linux distributions seems entirely sane to me. People expect sudo, therefore we will give them sudo. So if you don't like the default, I suggest you investigate distro-constructor.

RBAC/pfexec is in no way being deprecated and server administrators will be advised to make use of it for obvious reasons, such as auditing. But it's unreasonable to insist that users bend to fit the OS. You don't win users that way. Like it or not, Solaris is a minority fringe OS these days, and if we don't want to fade into obscurity further, decisions like this have to be made. This is the reality we are living in. Failing to accept the reality is not helpful for anyone.

Regards,

Alasdair