[oi-dev] Developer meeting

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Thu Dec 2 08:00:34 UTC 2010

On 2 Dec 2010, at 07:37, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 07:21 +0000, Chris Ridd wrote:
>> I was referring to the standardness of the two systems. XMPP is standard. IRC is not.
>
> Huh?  IRC is described by RFC 1459.  Several follow up RFCS occurred:

OK, I didn't know that.

> http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/rfc/
>
> For internet protocols, that usually about as "standard" as you get.  (A

Not really, no. There are RFCs and there are RFCs. The IRC ones you pointed out are just RFCs, the XMPP RFCs are standards track.

But, it doesn't really matter too much. If the majority of folks are happy using irc.freenode.net, then fine.

> A bigger question: who are the attendees meant to be?  *Developers* for
> OpenIndiana?  People with commit rights?

I'd say anyone interested can come. If that turns out to be a problem, we'll try something different.

> Note that *illumos* has no such meeting for registered developers, and
> probably never will.   If you (OI) need a private meeting between the
> *leaders* of the project, then you should just use whatever works for
> those people, and ignore the rest of us in the peanut gallery.

An open public meeting seems a better idea for now.

Cheers,

Chris