[oi-dev] Developer meeting

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 23:26:57 UTC 2010

On 30 Nov 2010, at 19:48, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to propose that we hold developer meetings regular basis
> either on IRC or in form of a conference call (if we can get
> somebody to provide the infrastructure).  This would allow us to
> make some smaller decisions in a timely fashion without numerous
> time-consuming email discussions and might help to keep all
> involved developers (especially thos who do not have time to
> monitor IRC all the time) up to date on the current status of our
> project.  Moreover, I think we could also enhance coordination and
> cooperation, specifically in terms of identifying and delegating
> open tasks to contributors and thus improve efficiency.

This sounds like a very good idea.. I prefer the idea of IRC to Conf Call as its often hard to make out what people are saying, and to contribute if there are many people on the line.

> I would suggest we try to come up with a fixed time interval
> (e.g. certain day and time every or every other week) and place
> (#oi-meeting on freenode for now) and create a page on the wiki
> where everybody can add agenda items and where IRC logs can be
> posted later.

Also sounds like a very efficient way of doing things.

> The first agenda could e.g. include the following issues:
> * adaptation of the proposed governance and development models to
>  current realities
> * setting goals and a time frame for the post-oi_148 development
>  release
>    * in particular a discussion among consolidation builders
>      about the upcoming transition to Illumos
> * collecting ideas to  contributors
> * the way forward with OIAC

All good for me. Only agenda point I'd add would be "* methods of attracting additional devs to the project"

> So what do you all think? Any suggestions? What would be a
> day/time acceptable to you (please mention the timezone)?

I can do any time that sits between 7am in the morning and 2am at night in GMT/UTC (Or easier, I can't do 2am to 7am in the middle of the night GMT/UTC).

The last time I tried to plot this, it was very difficult to pick a time that suited West Coast USA + Europe + Japan + Australia. I'd propose we pick a time thats good for USA West Coast + Europe, rather than pick a time that suits nobody, since thats where most of the developers are. (Sorry people in Japan/Australia/that general direction of the globe!)

Cheers,

Alasdair