[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing VBox

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 20:46:47 UTC 2010

Hi Kyle,

On 22 Oct 2010, at 19:23, Kyle McDonald wrote:

> On 10/22/2010 1:41 PM, Guy Woolley wrote:
>> Have you sorted out editing the package to get USB support in the
>> VBox?
>>
>> I understand the problem is that the installation looks for the
>> string "snv" to identify the Opensolaris build to see if it is new
>> enough to give USB support in the VBox; "snv" has been replaced by
>> "oi" so the default seems to be no USB - at least that's what I got.
>>
> I hit this also.
>
> I know that OI needs to make changes remove copyrighted materials, and
> trademarks, but does the 'snv_xxx' really need to be changed as part
> of this?

Programs that check for system features by checking that string are broken, and rather than creating a huge amount of work by customising the OS, really, the app should be fixed. I'm afraid oi_ will be staying :)

I know that isn't a helpful answer, but you can edit /etc/release to make it match if you need to. You could also recompile ONNV if you wanted, with snv_ instead of oi_. A faster method would be to hack up uname to provide the string you need.

Keep in mind when Solaris 11 Express comes out, it will almost certainly not have snv_XXX as a string.

Really, the answer is for someone to compile the open source version of VirtualBox for OpenIndiana with this check fixed. We'd be more than happy to provide it in our repos assuming the licensing permits.

<snip>

> According to the info available, Oracle will be making further code
> drops to the hg repos. Do we really want to number our builds b148,
> b149, b150, etc. ?? What happens if the new code drop is b163 (just an
> example), when OI is already up to our own b175? I think it'd be nice
> to show what ON build our builds are based on, and at the same time
> also describe what OI build it is.

We're building the source code versions Oracle give us. Oracle still provide source code for most of the operating system, only ONNV is missing. Meaning, oi_148 will consist of:

ONNV 147
SFW 148
JDS 148
XNV 148
PKG 148
Caiman/Slim Source 148
etc

We're going to skip 149, and go straight to 150. Then we'll have:

ONNV 147
SFW 150
JDS 150
XNV 150
PKG 150
Caiman/Slim Source 150

So as you can see, we're following Oracle build numbers because we're building Oracle's code at that version. So it makes sense to use the same build number. There is logic there, trust me :)

Cheers,

Alasdair