[oi-dev] Distribution build system

TJ Yang tjyang2001 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 10:00:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Andrzej Szeszo <aszeszo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi TJ,
>
> This is great that you are trying TWW tools.
>
> I was actually thinking about using a GNU make based system, possibly with
> few helper scripts.

FREEBSD:make buildworld
How about OpenIndiana: make buildworld  too ;)

> The advantage of using Makefiles is that everyone is familiar with them,
> incremental builds are possible and also parallel builds are possible.

Agree about using make.

At work, I do use make on top of TWW sb/pb tools to achieve
incremental builds and parallel builds(not actually doing this right
now).
for parallel/distributed builds, I played with distcc before but end
up using ElectricCloud(different name now)[3].

I am hoping OI project can implement C.I. tools to distribute the
build(once above is ready).

> Can you point me to some docs about TWW tools describing what they can do? I
> have never heard about them :)

See [2] Reference section. the best doc so far is still the RTFM. each
tools has detail doc in its manpages.

> Thanks,
>
> Andrzej

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html