[oi-dev] 1341 Upgrade cmake to the latest version - bitbucket changeset: Commit dcc62cd7b504 - Please review

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 21:23:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gordon,
>
>> And that brings up another question: Do we want to remove
>> /usr/local from the search paths as was done for Solaris?
>> I wonder why this was done?  Anyone know?
>> Do we want to continue this change?
>
> I think it's probably to keep software built with cmake relatively "clean", sunfreeware.com and friends deposit their stuff in /usr/local, and they for example use their own libgcc etc. It wouldn't be desirable for software being built with a system gcc to pick up objects linked with a non-system gcc.
>
> Since users can explicitly add /usr/local as a search path manually if they need to, I think it's safe to keep it.

This might not have been clear, but the search path changes are not $PATH or
anything like that, but (apparently) places cmake will look for things.
Usually looking lots of places is a good thing:)
That's why I asked about its removal.

> If you're happy to go ahead, I'll do the commit now. I've imported the patch set into my oi-build workspace.

Yeah, I think it's OK as is.

Just wish we knew why that stuff was changed.  Ya know, it's permitted to
have a little text at the top of a patch file, saying why you're doing this!
grrr...  (though I'm probably guilty too:)

Gordon