[oi-dev] illumos based OpenIndiana DVD

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Tue Feb 22 17:22:33 UTC 2011

I think in general, the idea of swapping back and forth between
different versions of ONNV is not going to work out so well.

There are challenges related to dependencies between ON (or
illumos-gate) and the rest of the system, and having multiple moving
targets is going to be impractical for end-users or even distribution
builders to work with.

My read of Schillix-ON is that you want to build a different
distribution, with a different core (based on SVR4 as well it seems), so
you can tune your distro for the decisions you make around your fork of
ON.

While that's fine, I am not sure it is fair to ask either end-users or
distribution builders to cope with the notion of "swapping" a different
ON derivative out given the rather insane dependency graph that is
associated with ON.

	- Garrett