[oi-dev] SPARC Text Installer

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Wed Feb 23 16:52:24 UTC 2011

* Matthew Wilby <mwilby at gmail.com> [2011-02-23 16:13]:
> Hi Ken,
>
> On 23 February 2011 14:33, ken mays <maybird1776 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Matt,
> >
> > See Jon Tibble and Martin Bochnig for more extendibility.
> >

> I have no idea who Martin Bochnig is. In one of the OI meetings I asked how
> many people were looking at SPARC and the impression was that it was only
> Meths (Jon) and myself afaik.

Martin Bochnig once created http://www.martux.org/ and worked on
SPARC Xorg drivers, he has no involvement with the OI project.

> > Create SPARC distro fundamentally based on oi_148a (02/23/11) ISO.
> >

> I've already done an Illumos build mirroring x86, same as what is in
> oi_148a. I've stopped, because I don't want to end up spending a huge amount
> of time producing something that won't be used.

You need to decide for yourself if it is worth your time but
judging by the mailing lists there seems to be at least some
demand for it. If you want to get an estimate you might want to
survey on oi-discuss since there will be more potential end-users
there and actually just today somebody was asking for the state
of SPARC support.

--
Guido Berhoerster