[oi-dev] SPARC Text Installer

Albert Lee trisk at opensolaris.org
Wed Feb 23 19:25:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Matthew Wilby <mwilby at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I looked at Sun Rays several years back, there seemed to be more of a
> push to install SRSS on x86, I forget the exact reason, probably cost and at
> the time T2000s weren't great. Are there really that many people using Sun
> Rays on SPARC?

I only have anecdotal evidence to go by, so I can't really say.

>> > I'm not suggesting this should be a stable release. I'm not sure what
>> > consolidation versions should be used.
>> >

>> I have confidence we can reproduce builds for 148.
>>

> Is this based upon using Illumos (as per oi_148a) or Oracle ON?

Either, if Andrzej's changes outside of ON for oi_148a are documented.
There are fixes for SPARC in the illumos tree that would need
backporting to oi_148's onnv-gate.

> It would be interesting to know what the Illumos guys think about SPARC, and
> if they see it as supportable long term.

As one of the "illumos guys", I can state that continuing SPARC support is one
of our long-term goals, and the availability of a proper self-hosting
SPARC distribution would greatly benefit development.

-Albert