[oi-dev] SPARC Text Installer

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Feb 24 10:34:33 UTC 2011

Matthew Wilby <mwilby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> On 23 February 2011 14:33, ken mays <maybird1776 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Matt,
> >
> > See Jon Tibble and Martin Bochnig for more extendibility.
> >

> I have no idea who Martin Bochnig is. In one of the OI meetings I asked how
> many people were looking at SPARC and the impression was that it was only
> Meths (Jon) and myself afaik.

Martin created the first sparc distro. He did not work on his distro for a
while, but he recently aquired some new machines and seems to be interested to
continue to work on his distro, switching from ONNV to Schillix-ON.

Schillix-ON/Sparc is currently developed on a machine running SXCE build 130
with a replaced liker and with added self compiled ips. As this is a SunFire
280R, compilation is much slower than on the Intel build system (8 hours vs.
1 hour), so we currently mainly do scheduled compile tests and install tests
with the current state of the SVR4 packages.

Once the SVR54 package system is fully functional again (we still need to
assign 560 new files to existing packages), we will set up a minimal
installation procedure for Schillix based on SVR5 packages and then set up a
sparc test machine that runs Schillix.

Once this works, we will offer a server that has the packages available and
that allows to install over the network.

If you like to contribute, you are of course welcome.

Jörg