[oi-dev] How to provide X/system debug info?

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 16:40:06 UTC 2011

I experience X server (and keyboard I think) locking at sort of random
times (switching virtual desktop, opening firefox, opening thunderbird etc).

I think All applications could stay working while screen picture freezes
and I could always log in via ssh to the machine.
Machine is Notebook Dell Latitude D620 Core2Duo, Intel graphics (945),
so it is i915 driver.

Latest version that did not crash X with freezing like that is
OpenSolaris snv_131.
It is present in every later release including oi_147 and Illumoses I
was building on top of 145.

I could not start oi_148 after update, since gdm would freeze on boot. I
did not try SolarisExpress, since I do not know how to install new fresh
install on new Boot Environment
Could new BE installed on the system by doing zfs send | zfs rcv for
both oi_148 and Sol Ex?

So basically I want to provide every debug information I can, to test
and do everything to get rid of this bug, since this is computer I will
use for some time testing and using OpenIndiana and Illumos and it is in
my best interest for it to be fixed.
(And I suppose it is prerequisite for making good bug report)
Taking look at the bug I reported around snv_133 it never got fxed (not
sure about 15x since I can not test it unless I manage to do zfs send of
BE from Vbox).

I am sending this from snv_131 after 2 crashes of oi147 again and I am
not very happy about it.