[oi-dev] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch - A package list (Deano)

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Fri Jan 21 13:04:01 UTC 2011

I think we need as rich a repository as possible.  However, that will be
an infeasible task given the limited resources.  So, the most likely
thing would be to prioritize the list, not by the wishes of the few, but
by market share (if that is even obtainable).

That said, if someone needs something for themselves, it would be great
if they would submit a package for all of us.

So, I propose the following...  Someone create a virtualbox image
complete with our application development platform that can help
simplify the entry learning curve.  I, for one, would love to contribute
packages if it was make easy.  Of course along with the environment we
need a "Hello World" and more complicated development tutorials.  My
feeling is that with this approach, the number of contributors might
swell and lighten the burden of the die-hard few.

Gary