[oi-dev] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch - A package list

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Jan 21 00:50:17 UTC 2011

On Friday, January 21, 2011 05:09 AM, Colin Ellis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've compiled a package list incorporating the ones from Alasdairrr's
> email with some of the ones I feel are must-haves in order to serve
> anything internet-related.  I've taken the time to list the latest
> stable source code release version along with latest package versions
> for Fedora 14, debian Lenny, OI 148, and where possible the latest in
> SFW upstream from Oracle.

Thanks for the efforts.

> My feeling is that we can do better than oracle in some of these
> packages without too much work.  It will make us more marketable if we
> were up to date at least with apache, mysql, php, bind9 and sendmail.
> If we don't want to release them as stable then i'd be happy to look
> after another consolidation of these updated packages.

I doubt it would make too much difference unless there are new features
that people out there are wanting with new packages. Somehow, on the
server side of things, I do not see that as a big advantage except with
maybe php. Keeping up security wise is definitely a minimum requirement.

> Ubuntu created a great following very quickly by being more up to date
> than debian (not difficult!).  I believe that we can do the same and be
> better for some applications than solaris 11.

Ubuntu created a great following by being more up to date with desktop
related software, easy installation/maintenance of binary X drivers
(namely Nvidia for which we do not have too much of a problem) AND
having a HUGE combined repository of popular package(s) in many
different fields.

> Please comment and add your own must-have packages.

Limiting to Internet related software only that have not yet been
mention by others.

dovecot (no pop3/imap packages?)

pcre
BerkerlyDB
These two are must haves for the mta packages in the absence of stuff
like spamassassin, MIMEdefang, clamav.

asterisk
hylafax
Not necessarily these two packages but I feel that we should have
something on the voip/fax side of things.

openvpn
opends (or something ldap related...is there something in ON/illumos
already?)