[oi-dev] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Julian Wiesener jw at vtoc.de
Mon Jan 17 00:45:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

while i still stick to my opinion that it currently would be better to
not offer a "somewhat" stable release and concentrate on illumos
integration, i always think people who like to do something for good
reason, should just do it. So if there are people willing to offer a
release and support it, there is nothing wrong in let them do it as long
as it does not cause to much problems for those who work on
illumos-integration, what i don't see here.

On 01/17/11 01:00 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> Merci. I guess I would have to look elsewhere then. Nice comparing
> postfix to a pony. I would have thought something like zimbra would be a
> pony, not a mainstay like postfix.

It is a pony since it is something many people want but is just not
arround here and never had on osol/oi. Integrating new packages is not
the approach here, since it is meant to be a temporary solution for osol
users. I'm building my own postfix packages for solaris (10 and osol)
for 5 years now and similar will be true for all possible
oi(-temporary)-stable users that have postfix running.
However, it is still true, that if some want to build and maintain
postfix for oi, noone should one keep them from doing it. Instead of
nagging that postfix is not available, you could offer to provide and
maintain it. It is not even very difficult package, i can offer you a
specfile if you wish to.

BTW: I think people whos decision about an os are depending on the
binary package availability of easy to install third party software,
should think about their criterias.

Regards,
Julian