[oi-dev] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Mon Jan 17 00:59:18 UTC 2011

On 01/16/11 04:45 PM, Julian Wiesener wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while i still stick to my opinion that it currently would be better to
> not offer a "somewhat" stable release and concentrate on illumos
> integration, i always think people who like to do something for good
> reason, should just do it. So if there are people willing to offer a
> release and support it, there is nothing wrong in let them do it as long
> as it does not cause to much problems for those who work on
> illumos-integration, what i don't see here.

I agree.  I can tell you that I would really like to see more resources
allocated to illumos and bug fixing things in illumos, rather than on
some interim quasi-supported solution.  However, people are free to
choose how to spend their time.

I wish more people would get involved and start contributing to
illumos... and I suspect that the OI folks feel the same way.

It always seems that there are far more people ready with an opinion
than there are who are willing to actually get some work done.  But
maybe I'm just being cynical.

     - Garrett