[oi-dev] New guy

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Mon Jan 31 16:26:30 UTC 2011

Hello Ken,

* Kenneth O'Brien <dev at kenobrien.org> [2011-01-31 01:30]:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for an OSS project to contribute to. I'm a coder/sysadmin type.
> I'm not adverse to testing/QA either.
>
> I've read the docs and am looking for a place to start. Any particular team
> need a new member?

sounds great, welcome to the project. There are currently a
number of initiatives goin on which provide opportunities for
contributing.
Firstly, we are preparing to move from the stagnant Oracle ONNV
to Illumos, the biggest open tasks are to adapt the G11n
consolidation to work with the new Illumos locales and to change
dependencies Perl dependencies in all consolidations from Perl
5.8.4 to Perl 5.8.10 since the former has been removed from
Illumos.
Then there is also some work going on to identify and address
security vulnerablilities in a subset of oi_148 packages in
preparation for a stable release.
Finally we are trying to create an unsupported repo of additional
OSS packages based on the SFE
(http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/spec-files-extra/) project.

A lot of communication between the developers happens on IRC, so
it would probably be best if you could join #oi-dev on freenode
and we can help try to find something that suits you and get
you started. If you have time you could also join our weekly
developer meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) at 20:00 UTC in the
#oi-meeting channel where a number of core developers will be
present.

--
Guido Berhoerster