[oi-dev] Fwd: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Documentation-Project

Tobias Famulla uni at famulla.eu
Mon Jun 6 22:13:15 UTC 2011

Hello,

As Ken mentioned above, I would like to help to document OpenIndiana,
because I think it is an interesting project and I am frustrated by the
documentation of many projects and want to help to make it better.
The Tutor of our course is a little bit flexible, so it is not a
question of a few weeks do decide, what tool fit the needs of the project.

I was reading some articles(also some Wikipedia-articles) about
technical documentation and of course formats like DocBook, DITA or
Latex were mentioned there as open formats for this.
I also used javadoc for an api-documentation once, but this is for sure
not that tool we can use for such documentation.
Somewhere in the past I also recognized Sphinx, played a little bit with
it around and liked the easy way to use it and to get started. I also
like reStructuredText and the idea to easy write a documentation with a
normal editor and a lots of easier syntax than Latex. But I am not an
expert on Sphinx or used it much.

I think the most important tasks are to find a format to handle the
documentation, tools to work with it, and workflows (how can people
write some parts, how is it automatically converted to the output
formats and so on).
The focus should be on the easy use of the tools and not specially on
the format to encourage many people to write things for the documentation.

Because there are parts written by Sun, we might use them (we have to
check the licenses). If we want to use DocBook we can use them as they
are, although we could have to structure it new, and have to find good
DocBook-Tools.
An the other hand we could convert in into an easier to use format like
reStructuredText, Dita, Latex or something like this, and use tools
connected to this.

I will try to make a little research on tools for documentation soon and
send it via mail to this list.

Afterwards we can discuss the pros and cons on the list an maybe find a
solution at an oi-meeting next weeks or on the list.

Best Regards,

Tobias

Jabber:	boti at jabber.ccc.de
ICQ: 	279837014