[oi-dev] Git as a version control system for new OI projects

jeffpc at josefsipek.net jeffpc at josefsipek.net
Wed Jun 22 20:45:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 01:28:29PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 06/22/11 12:04 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
> > Do you have hard data to support your comment that GIT is more used that
> > HG?. Moreover, in our arena? (OS development, distro creation).
>
> The lead is clearer in the OS develoepment & distro creation arena - the
> Linux kernel and Android fork of it, and the fedora & debian distros all
> use git, I don't know of any major OS other than OpenSolaris that adopted
> hg for the core OS development.

I feel like chiming in a little bit.  Long story short...I use both for
different projects.  Git is fast...on Linux.  All other OSes aren't quite
that fast.  Hg, well...just works and as others have mentioned, it is much
more user friendly.

Anyway, here are two links that are pro-hg.

http://pedro.larroy.com/blog/?p=272
http://pedro.larroy.com/blog/?p=280

Jeff.

--
The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
factor large prime numbers.