[oi-dev] Git as a version control system for new OI projects

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jun 22 20:28:29 UTC 2011

On 06/22/11 12:04 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
> Do you have hard data to support your comment that GIT is more used that
> HG?. Moreover, in our arena? (OS development, distro creation).

The lead is clearer in the OS develoepment & distro creation arena - the
Linux kernel and Android fork of it, and the fedora & debian distros all
use git, I don't know of any major OS other than OpenSolaris that adopted
hg for the core OS development.

There are big hg users in other arenas of course - all the Mozilla projects,
Python, OpenJDK, etc.:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercurial#Adoption

(Yes, that does mention Symbian OS, but that's not really an actively
 developed open source OS any more.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com