[oi-dev] Git as a version control system for new OI projects

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Wed Jun 22 23:39:57 UTC 2011

On 22/06/11 21:12, Magnus wrote:
> On 6/22/11 3:04 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
>> Do you have hard data to support your comment that GIT is more used that
>> HG?. Moreover, in our arena? (OS development, distro creation).
> I think it is a very very safe assumption.
>
> I personally know of at least 20,000 people who use git in their day
> jobs, and that's just at one company.

Anecdotal evidence.

> Go to the book store and tell me how many books you can find on each
> subject.

I can agree that mastering GIT is difficult :-).

But using this same metric, you should go back to ubuntu and leave
OpenIndiana/Ilumos alone...

> Add to that pretty much anyone doing Linux kernel development, and
> everyone on github. It's also the default for new projects in Apple's
> Xcode, IIRC, so it's probably used quite heavily in the iOS and OS X
> communities.

Most projects in github are dead, project numbers doesn't reflect
reality. There is (some knowledgable says that better) bitbucket as
equivalent to github, for mercurial projects.

Mercurial is used in quite a few "huge" projects: Illumos, OpenIndiana,
OpenSolaris public side, Mozilla, OpenOffice (LibreOffice uses GIT),
NetBeans, Python... Doesn't seems like a "niche within a niche" tool.

What are the shortcomings your are trying to solve migrating to GIT,
beside "theorically" lowering the entry barrier to new developers that
could be interested/able or not in contributing?.

> This contingency was not meant to offend my Amish brothers, who
> shouldn't be on the Internet reading this in the first place.

I will take this as a joke I miss. I guess..

- --
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/
jabber / xmpp:jcea at jabber.org         _/_/    _/_/          _/_/_/_/_/