[oi-dev] Fwd: [illumos-Developer] Google Summer of Code?

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 20:24:12 UTC 2011

Indeed, though it is quite useful, oddly, for the proposals to not be quite
right (hardness etc.), it requires students to investigate and look into the
problem first, that usually is a pretty good way in itself of filtering the
students wanting an easy life.

Block Pointer Rewrite is a good example, they task itself is too big BUT if
we get a good student interested in advanced file systems, they can (with
us) probably produce a manageable deliverable and we may just get the next
file system hot shot interested in further work post GSOC. Any student who
just writes BPR on the form we know they clearly haven't spent even an hour
looking into things.

Deano