[oi-dev] Distribution build system

Andrzej Szeszo aszeszo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:43:03 UTC 2011

On 03/16/11 13:34, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2011, at 12:12, Deano wrote:
>
>> >  A laudable aim but do we have the man power to do it, without negatively affecting our existing schedules for illumos and stable releases?
> Can we afford*not*  to do it? Anything to make it easier and more practical for contributions the better...

We could start from the top, automate distro-importer and
distro-constructor first while using pre-compiled components. Then
gradually add consolidation build systems to the tree. This is just one
of the possible approaches.

We definitely need automation/repeatability if we are thinking about
maintaining stable release.

I would rather have the new release assembled using a new automated
system even if it means getting the release out later.

Andrzej