[oi-dev] Distribution build system

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Wed Mar 16 16:12:33 UTC 2011

On 16 Mar 2011, at 15:43, Andrzej Szeszo wrote:

> On 03/16/11 13:34, Chris Ridd wrote:
>> On 16 Mar 2011, at 12:12, Deano wrote:
>>

>>> A laudable aim but do we have the man power to do it, without negatively affecting our existing schedules for illumos and stable releases?
>>>
>> Can we afford *not*
>>  to do it? Anything to make it easier and more practical for contributions the better...
>>

> We could start from the top, automate distro-importer and distro-constructor first while using pre-compiled components. Then gradually add consolidation build systems to the tree. This is just one of the possible approaches.
>
> We definitely need automation/repeatability if we are thinking about maintaining stable release.

I completely agree.

FWIW at work we have an XML file describing each release as (essentially) a number of git repos + tags to checkout, and then what script to run to build each given repo. Our overall build script goes through that XML in order, and is able to do "the right thing". This gives us pretty reproducible releases.

Chris